Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6646 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Default Why do people have four name servers?

Hello, I have noticed that people us 4 name servers ns1.domain.com ns2.domain.com ns3.domain.com ns4.domain.com

I only use two ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

I have always wondered, why do people use 4? I am just curious? Does it help against DDoS attacks at all? Does it speed up the site? What does it do?

Highest Regards
    Webmin Reviewed by Webmin on . Why do people have four name servers? Hello, I have noticed that people us 4 name servers ns1.domain.com ns2.domain.com ns3.domain.com ns4.domain.com I only use two ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com I have always wondered, why do people use 4? I am just curious? Does it help against DDoS attacks at all? Does it speed up the site? What does it do? Highest Regards Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

They have 4 ips suppose an ip is not working then your site will not work if it work instread of that then your site works ie its just like backup powersupply

I have 2 nameservers, how come is someone doses one ip the site still goes down?

Website's:
    AnimeTiTanZ.NeT
    ... i think that depends on the providers ... & that maybe for speeding up the sites loads as the ns are put in two loctions at least like US & CA

Mate normally 2 name servers are on the same ip
    like ns1.site.com and ns2.site.com are on one ip thats why i think and btw the ip has nothing to do with ddos as ddos attacks the server via the ip

Website's:
    AnimeTiTanZ.NeT
    look bro it doesn't matter how many it still the same as 2 name servers look

&

Banned
    Website's:
    trafficstay.com
    Generally if someone ddoses it's targeted at the sites ip, Not the Name Servers ip. Multipe NS can help with load times if they're in different geographical locations.

Website's:
    Hostingcove.com Heroicvpn.com
    DNS Redundancy, Having multiple name servers in different areas provide reliability if there is a issue with one of the name servers the site can still be looked up via the others.

I have 2 nameservers, how come is someone doses one ip the site still goes down?
    Probably because you are using the same IP for both name servers and your site or the server your site is on, if this is not the case then the DDOS is probably directed at the IP of your site, not your dns service.

If you use cPanel then you can always get a few low end VPS in different areas and use cPanel DNS ONLY (free)

Thread Information