Hello KWWH!

I recently saw a new thread asking about how to rar files automatically

So I decided to make a little tutorial that may help many, hope it does:

My technique uses a BATCH script I made and a scheduled task involving this BATCH file.

So first open up notepad or your favorite text editor

Type the following:

@ECHO OFF

cd C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress

SET PATH=C:;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Win dows\System32\Wbem;%PATH%

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.ra r" "%%~fd"

EXIT

Save this as AutoRaR.bat (or whatever you want) and save it where you want

So the first path ?C:\directory_you_want_to_compress? is the directory where the files you want to compress are located

SET PATH looks for rar.exe to run in command prompt
DO NOT EDIT THIS

DO WinRar executes winrar
-m0 is the compression level, where compresion level (0-store...3-default ...5-maximal) you can set which ever you want

-ep excludes the path from the created rar name (You can remove if you want to include path)

-df deletes the original files in the main directory you set first ?C:\directory_you_want_to_compress?
You can remove this if you want to maintain the files and remove manually later

Example:

Now create a new scheduled task to run AutoRaR.bat for example hourly, daily, weekly or whatever your needs

To create a new scheduled task go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Task Scheduler and from here follow the wizard

Thats it Folks! Hope I helped!

Enjoy
cotufa-ssdd

NOTE: Please test before using on your original files

::EDIT::

I added suggestions tha KWWH members have requested to the primary post:

EXCLUDE RAR FILES FROM RE-COMPRESSION:

@ECHO OFF

SET PATH=C:;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Win dows\System32\Wbem;%PATH%

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df -x*.rar "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.ra r" "%%~fd"

move /-y "C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress\*.ra r" "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\"
EXIT
Where -x*.rar means ?exclude all .rar files?. You can add more files to exclude for example add another -x*.zip

Since you excluded all rar files, they will stay in the original directory, thats what the next code does, move, this is simply moving all .rar files to the same directory where the compressions are being made.

COMPRESS IN MULTIVOLUMES:

Edit this line:

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df -x*.rar -v100m "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.ra r" "%%~fd"
-v100m will save multivolumes of 100m. Or change to whatever you need..

ADD README, INSTRUCTION OR ANY ?BASE? FILE TO ALL COMPRESSIONS:

@ECHO OFF

for /D %%f in ("C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress\ *") do copy "C:\directory_with_readme.txt\readme.txt" "%%f\"

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df -v100m -x*.rar "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.ra r" "%%~fd"

EXIT
This new line will add the readme.txt to all original folders before compression. It then moves on to compress each folder to the specifications discussed earlier.

Notice that the readme.txt is located in a diferent directory, that is so it will not be compressed and removed.

UNRAR PASSWORDED FILES:

ECHO OFF

cd C:\PATH TO RARS

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO unRaR e -p123456 *.rar C:\DESTINATION TO EXTRACT

EXIT
123456 is the password and it is the same password for *all rars.

Enjoy
cotufa-ssdd

NOTE: Please test before using on your original files
cotufa-ssdd Reviewed by cotufa-ssdd on . How to Auto RaR Files Hello KWWH! I recently saw a new thread asking about how to rar files automatically So I decided to make a little tutorial that may help many, hope it does: My technique uses a BATCH script I made and a scheduled task involving this BATCH file. So first open up notepad or your favorite text editor Rating: 5