Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6883 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Website's:
    Naked-sluts.us
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaStar View Post
    this is better then MSE?
    No its not

2.   Sponsored Links

Website's:
    Elite.SO Defendos.com Motionite.com
    @Suhel,Thanks, do you have any suggestion?

@weena,
    Thanks for the useless reply. As I said this is NOT a replacement of an anti-virus software. Btw MSE is not that good. Avast / Mbam / are way better.

Defendos BETA3 Released! Thread - Official Website

Respected Developer
    Nice app . 3 things though:

1. The hosts file has nothing to do with the Windows kernel and as such modifying it does not improve kernel-level security.
    2. Does it actually parse the file so that it doesn't for example change/remove user-defined localhost alias domains?
    3. Any application can write to the hosts file without a UAC prompt by injecting exploror.exe. Lots of viruses/trojans will use this to, for example, make www.mybank.tld redirect to a different server (phishing). This is probably a much bigger threat than dodgy sites using java driveby's and other iframe'd BS. How does it deal with that?

Website's:
    Thanks for your reply Hyperz.

Well Ive added a Hosts Customizer function so the user can insert his own custom hosts rules. It saves that info locally and appends the Defendos signatures after every update.

The main purpose of this app is that it prevents users to get their system infected (ofcourse not all). Its not something like a realtime scanner. Even better, if the hosts file gets injected by a virus it won't affect long term because everytime you enable/disable/update/restart Defendos takes a fresh copy of the hosts file and patches again.

Hope that its a bit clear now

Thanks

If you can add ad servers(assuming you didn't), I'd recommend this program to people.
    Coder for hire. I'm an experienced web developer with vast knowledge of PHP, HTML, CSS, MySQL, JavaScript, SEO, and web servers. I also write code for Windows programs with Visual Basic and C#.NET.

All products are written quickly with efficiency, and security in mind.

Website's:
    I need to think about that. It already blocks bad ads but not all.

Respected Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by l0calh0st View Post
    Even better, if the hosts file gets injected by a virus it won't affect long term because everytime you enable/disable/update/restart Defendos takes a fresh copy of the hosts file and patches again.
    Just be aware that if a virus depends on the hosts file the do its thing it'll most likely prevent anything else from writing to it. Especially if it took refuge in the kernel which will be the case for most viruses/trojans.

Anyway, good luck with it. One suggestion I'd give you is to make the app send the hosts file to your server so you can scan it there and perhaps detect if something is preventing your app from writing to it or scanning for known phishing IP's etc. Second suggestion, make categories for blockable hosts. That way, like buddah suggested, users can choose to block specific ad sites or even things like DRM-related domains for not-so-legally-obtained-games.

I have some suggestion

Scanner (malware remover)
    Auto start when you log in to windows
    Sandbox
    Program scanner

Website's:
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
    If you can add ad servers(assuming you didn't), I'd recommend this program to people.

I am not adding this feature. Because there are plenty of adblock addons for browsers. Defendos main target is dangerous websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperz View Post
    Just be aware that if a virus depends on the hosts file the do its thing it'll most likely prevent anything else from writing to it. Especially if it took refuge in the kernel which will be the case for most viruses/trojans.

Anyway, good luck with it. One suggestion I'd give you is to make the app send the hosts file to your server so you can scan it there and perhaps detect if something is preventing your app from writing to it or scanning for known phishing IP's etc. Second suggestion, make categories for blockable hosts. That way, like buddah suggested, users can choose to block specific ad sites or even things like DRM-related domains for not-so-legally-obtained-games.
    I will try to implement tamber protection for Defendos AND the hosts files. So it can't be edited. I will try.

Also understand that Defendos can NOT replace an anti-virus/malware tool. Defendos is preventive, once your system is infected it's the job of your AV to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Suhel View Post
    I have some suggestion

Scanner (malware remover)
    Auto start when you log in to windows
    Sandbox
    Program scanner

Thanks for the suggestions; as I said a malware scanner / program scanner is a job of your anti-virus. Not needed in Defendos. Sandbox, there is already a small working tool that does the job. Good suggestion tho.

Respected Member
    Website's:
    ShineServers.Com Pickadedi.com
    Seems good , another awesome release from you mate . Keep it up +1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information