Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6855 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Default Local Storage Server?

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a server chassis and core to rig up a local storage system that would have enough computing power than I could put a copy of Ubuntu or something on it and have it do some video encoding, but mostly would just be a way for me to hook up a bunch of 2TB drives (or whatever) so that I could store 50-100TB of data on it.

Does anyone have an recommendations as to how this would best be accomplished?

Attempt to Clarify:
    I want to be able to SSH (or whatever) into this thing to have it do my video processing/transcoding stuff. However, I mostly want to be able to store massive amounts of data on it.
    Robin Hood Reviewed by Robin Hood on . Local Storage Server? I'm wondering if it is possible to use a server chassis and core to rig up a local storage system that would have enough computing power than I could put a copy of Ubuntu or something on it and have it do some video encoding, but mostly would just be a way for me to hook up a bunch of 2TB drives (or whatever) so that I could store 50-100TB of data on it. Does anyone have an recommendations as to how this would best be accomplished? Attempt to Clarify: I want to be able to SSH (or Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Respected Member
    If you would have to have a linux to windows then check this out. Samba on linux..
    http://www.noobslab.com/2012/03/conf...en-ubuntu.html

But I don't understand why they both couldn't be windows..

I suppose my current computer is running Mac OS X, I'm not particularly attached to the server's OS; but I wanted to be able to use the programs I currently use on my Ubuntu server to do the video processing part.

My question was more about configuring the server to be able to store all this data.

Website's:
    Elite.SO Defendos.com Motionite.com
    Are you talking about the hardware or software part?

You'll need a RAID card.

Defendos BETA3 Released! Thread - Official Website

I'm talking about the hardware, mostly.

I'm trying to be able to put a cost number on the barebones solution; I can pay for/add the SATA drives.

buddy you need a high speed video processing means, you need a 8 core AMD or high capacity motherboard/Processor and another thing is HARD DISK (15k drive process faster) - don't buy SSD, it's not stable..

i think you need a raid card/rack/raid controller for this much capacity

Website's:
    hosthatch.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    I'm talking about the hardware, mostly.

I'm trying to be able to put a cost number on the barebones solution; I can pay for/add the SATA drives.
    You can get a supermicro server with a jbod for additional drives. You can use a RAID card such as LSI 9260-8i. Then put in 2 or 3TB drives on it and install Ubuntu on it.

Quote Originally Posted by torrfriend View Post
    buddy you need a high speed video processing means, you need a 8 core AMD or high capacity motherboard/Processor and another thing is HARD DISK (15k drive process faster) - don't buy SSD, it's not stable..

i think you need a raid card/rack/raid controller for this much capacity
    Do you have any evidence to support this? SSDs are much more stable than standard HDD and SAS drives because their end of life can be predicted unlike other drives which can just fail without any warnings, anytime...SSDs have a set amount of writes after which they stop working.

Thread Information