Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6843 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Website's:
    EquestriaForever.com

Default Dedicated Server Optimisation, advice wanted

I run a Vbulletin forum on my Ubuntu server, does anyone know much about Server Optimisation? I have of course done all the standard Vbulletin specific optimisations(moving avatars out of database etc) and I use Xcache

I feel like there is more that could be done but everytime I ask somewhere I'm told to refer to an expert which frankly isn't that helpful seeing as no "expert" is ever provided

I appreciate that this can probably get quite complicated but if someone could point me towards a guide for some more basic stuff or something that would be appreciated
    Drahnier Reviewed by Drahnier on . Dedicated Server Optimisation, advice wanted I run a Vbulletin forum on my Ubuntu server, does anyone know much about Server Optimisation? I have of course done all the standard Vbulletin specific optimisations(moving avatars out of database etc) and I use Xcache I feel like there is more that could be done but everytime I ask somewhere I'm told to refer to an expert which frankly isn't that helpful seeing as no "expert" is ever provided I appreciate that this can probably get quite complicated but if someone could point me towards Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Website's:
    host4offshore.com
    Why ubuntu ?
    || Host4Offshore :: Reliable, Quality, Fast Offshore Hosting Solution (USA/Netherlands/Sweden/Russia/Romania)
    || Shared , Reseller Hosting Sales Thread
    || Rapidleech Hosting Sales Thread
    || Current Promotion

Website's:
    prewebhost.com
    You need to optimize mysql, webserver to yield better performance. Actually, you must decide first what uses high resources and then optimize the system accordingly.

Website's:
    EquestriaForever.com
    Quote Originally Posted by onel0ve View Post
    Why ubuntu ?
    I use it for my home computers and I'm used to it

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pwhjenny View Post
    You need to optimize mysql, webserver to yield better performance. Actually, you must decide first what uses high resources and then optimize the system accordingly.
    I'll be sure to research these topics

Hi,

I had a little look at your site and ran yslow. loading without a cached version of your site is nearly 2mb! I have attached linked to the report for you to have a look at. There is some serious room for optimization, especialy with regards to your chosen theme and external javascripts.

Link to yslow report: http://www.mediafire.com/?t2xvm9tu6wzvn21

Website's:
    imdber.org justpaste.me
    Quote Originally Posted by onel0ve View Post
    Why ubuntu ?
    Please don't recommend centOS.

Website's:
    host4geeks.com promptspace.com
    I do not understand what is the issue with the OS. If the OP is running Ubuntu and is comfortable with it there is absolutely no problems.

In terms of optimization, which webserver are you using? If it is Apache than you can take a look at Litespeed (PAID) which offers extremely good site load speeds alternatively you can try Nginx or Varnish Cache. Personally I can vouch on Varnish, I have and still use it and it just performs amazingly. Secondly, you can opt for a different VPS that runs on SSDs and serve your MySQL database from an SSD.

Website's:
    EquestriaForever.com
    yes I am running Apache, I'll do some research into Varnish, thanks

Thread Information