Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6854 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Trusted Webmaster
    Website's:
    KWWHunction.com

Default vBulletin Install for Dummies

I made this Tut from scratch, so if it helps you at all please use the like button.

So basically, after you buy a domain from a domain registrar such as Namecheap.com, you then search out a host provider such as site5.com. Once you have your Name-servers setup and your DNS finally resolves, you can move on to the installation part of getting your website up and running.

So lets review the steps

1. Buy the domain name of your choice.(keep in mind the domain has to be available for purchase)

2. Buy hosting. Now, depending on what kind of site you to plan to build, the amount of storage needed, or the kind of content you'd like to share, would determine whether or not you need onshore hosting or offshore hosting. The difference between onshore hosting is very simple. Onshore = United States | Offshore = Foreign country. If your site is completely legitimate and is not reserved due to piracy restrictions, then onshore hosting would due just fine.

3. Next, you would of course then go to www.vBulletin.com and purchase their software.

4. After choosing where you'd like to host your website and processed payment, the hosting provider will then send you a confirmation email with hosting account details assigned to you.

5. Check your email and your email should look something like the example below:

+===================================+
    | New Account Info |
    | Domain: Yoursite.com
    | Ip: **.***.***.*** (n)
    | HasCgi: y
    | UserName: Example
    | PassWord: Example
    | CpanelMod: x3
    | HomeRoot: /home
    | Quota: 10990 Meg
    | NameServer1: ns1.Example.net
    | NameServer2: ns2.Example.net
    | NameServer3:
    | NameServer4:
    | Contact Email: Your email address
    | Package: Example_10gb
    | Feature List: default
    | Language: en

6. Go to www.google.com and search for an ftp (File Transfer Protocol) client download. Most of them are free. For example, Filezilla. (I prefer filezilla and its very easy to use)

7. Login to the root of your website following these three steps, I've provided you with an example below:
    (Fill in the three fields using the details from the email your hosting provider assigned to you like the example show above in step 5.)

8. Once you've entered the correct authentication info, hit Quick Connect and the files will then load and you will see this figure shown below on the right hand side of your ftp client:

9. Open the public_html folder and manually drag and drop the vbulletin package into the public_html folder. (This will take a while, be patient while the files are being transferred)

Here's a more visual demonstration of step 9:

This is the vBulletin package folder after being extracted using winrar.
    http://i.imgur.com/xVMQN.png

Here's an example of the contents provided inside the upload folder which you will highlight, then drag and drop into the public_html folder in the ftp client.(Filezilla)
    http://i.imgur.com/mMAQz.png

10. After all the files have successfully transferred threw your ftp client, we will then have to make the required edits to your config.php file located in the public_html - includes folder. There are multiple ways to edit the config file but I'll stick to showing you the easy way

11. Once the public_html - includes folder is open in your ftp client, search for the file (config.php.new) and drag and drop it to your desktop so we can then make the appropriate edits.

12. Making the edits requires an app like Notepad+. Go to www.google.com, search for notepad+, (Again, its free like filezilla)install the app, and load it up.

13. Go to your config.php.new file which we dragged and dropped from your ftp client explained in step 11, right click, and hit edit using notepad+.

OK here we go! Let's edit the config.php.new which is the final step to setting up your vBulletin package.

Before adding the new edits to you config.php.new file, first watch this video as it requires you to create a new database, username, and password for your site.

Watch this FIRST - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTa0FA1y9Vw[/ame]

1st Edit:
    Adding your database to the config.php file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

2nd Edit:
    Adding your technical email address

3rd Edit:
    Adding your username & password.

4th & Final Edit:
    Adding the path to your forums directory

OK, all the correct edits have been made

14. Now, in notepad+, go to file, save as, save to desktop, and replace the old config.php.new file we dragged and dropped in step 11.

15. Rename the config.php.new file to config.php. Delete new on the end of the file.

16. In your ftp client, look for the public_html - includes folder again on the right hand side of your ftp client like we talked about in step 9. Drag and drop the new config.php file we've just edited into the folder. If it ask you to overwrite, do so, if not find the config.php.new file and delete it as we no longer need it.

OK, the hard part is over!

17. Now, open your browser and type in the URL of your website in the address bar. (www.example.com)

18. Add forward slash /install/install.php to the end of your website URL and hit enter. (www.example.com/install/install.php)

19. You should now see your new vBulletin installation guide. Follow the steps the guide prompts you to enter(From here on out its just filling in your website details, like what you want to call it etc) When done, it will ask you to delete the init.php file and install.php

20. Go to public_html - includes folder again in your ftp client, find init.php and delete it.

21. Go to public_html - install folder in your ftp client, find install.php and delete it.

Reload your websites URL and Congratulations! You've Just installed your vBulletin package!
    Rick Reviewed by Rick on . vBulletin Install for Dummies http://i.imgur.com/K9Z6i.png I made this Tut from scratch, so if it helps you at all please use the like button. So basically, after you buy a domain from a domain registrar such as Namecheap.com, you then search out a host provider such as site5.com. Once you have your Name-servers setup and your DNS finally resolves, you can move on to the installation part of getting your website up and running. So lets review the steps 1. Buy the domain name of your choice.(keep in mind the Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Website's:
    crackingheaven.com
    Good For Newbies...

great tutorials much useful for starters

Website's:
    xtom.com
    upload the .zip file, unpack in cPanel file manager, that would be easier.

Trusted Webmaster
    Website's:
    KWWHunction.com
    Yeah probably, I can add that to this tutorial at a later date in needed. And yeah, most people can do this without an issue, but for the most part, this is for rookies/"n00bs".

Nice Howto for start with VBulletin
    KWWHunction | [✔] 1K Posts

ψ(`∇?)ψ
    Now, that's what I call tutorial for dummies, reason to start making forums.

Thread Information