Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6859 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Piracy isn?t THAT bad and they know it

Just came across an old article on RLSLOG from its owner which seemed to be quite interesting:

I received a very pleasant mail today. My inbox is usually full of stupid cease & desist messages from various antipiracy organizations, but it’s mails like this one which make you happy. It’s good to see that some people realize that internet piracy isn’t just evil…
    To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Eric D. Wilkinson and I am the producer of a small independent film called “Jerome Bixby’s The Man From Earth” (our review).

I am sending you this email after realizing that our website has had nearly 23,000 hits in the last 12 days, much of it coming from your website. In addition, our trailer, both on the www.manfromearth.com site and other sites like YouTube, MySpace and AOL has been watched nearly 20,000 times AND what’s most impressive is our ranking on IMDb went from being the 11,235th most popular movie, to the 5th most popular movie in 2 weeks (we are also the #1 independent film on IMDb & the #1 science fiction film on IMDb). How did this all happen? Two words: Torrent / File Sharing sites (well, four words and a slash).

More specifically, RLSLOG.net. Our independent movie had next to no advertising budget and very little going for it until somebody ripped one of the DVD screeners and put the movie online for all to download. After that happened, people were watching it and started posting mostly all positive reviews on IMDb, Amazon and other places. Most of the feedback from everyone who has downloaded “The Man From Earth” has been overwhelmingly positive. People like our movie and are talking about it, all thanks to piracy on the net!

Am I upset… surprisingly no. Thanks to everyone who has downloaded this torrrent and watched the film, our awareness level is through the roof. For that I say, “THANK YOU”!
    What you guys have done here is nothing short of amazing. In the future, I will not complain about file sharing. YOU HAVE HELPED PUT THIS LITTLE MOVIE ON THE MAP!!!! When I make my next picture, I just may upload the movie on the net myself!
    This guy really deserves support from the file shareing community! You can support producers of The Man From Earth by buying the retail DVD, which should be available in the US stores from tomorrow.
    Update: Proof for the non believers:

With so many scams on the internet these days it is not entirely surprising that some may jump to conclusions about the legitimacy of this whole ordeal. Well for one I can tell you he does indeed check out as legitimate. Here are some reasons:

• his comment IP matches his comcast ISP when a whois query is initiated
    • his email is the same on his myspace page and he references in his rlslog comments
    • he recently added more proof with an image of himself with the rlslog.net website

Recently his new myspace message confirms. Also the Director, Richard Schenkman gives his backup that both of the men have “discussed the matter quite extensively before reaching out to the download community.” But their whole idea behind ‘going public’ was to “pull a Radiohead… to reach out to the online community and say, “If you downloaded this movie and liked it, please buy the DVD; and if you can’t buy the DVD where you live, please send us some money.”

Source:

Moderated Message:
    Link removed to keep our users safe, it's reported to be infected
    Machar Reviewed by Machar on . Piracy isn?t THAT bad and they know it Just came across an old article on RLSLOG from its owner which seemed to be quite interesting: I received a very pleasant mail today. My inbox is usually full of stupid cease & desist messages from various antipiracy organizations, but it’s mails like this one which make you happy. It’s good to see that some people realize that internet piracy isn’t just evil… To Whom It May Concern: My name is Eric D. Wilkinson and I am the producer of a small independent film called “Jerome Bixby’s The Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Respected Member
    And you think it works like that in every situation or that everyone wants that (theft) to happen?

of course not
    I was just pointing out the fact that sometimes piracy does have a positive aspect

ψ(`∇?)ψ

Your source is infected, or distributing malware

damn, rlslog is spammed to hell and back, that page have 250 spam comments...

Banned
    Website's:
    XmasPresent4Me.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Machar View Post
    of course not
    I was just pointing out the fact that sometimes piracy does have a positive aspect

Believe it or not there are some that say American DTH DBS provider Directv used the business model of piracy to increase their market share to #1. They did this by making it easy to hack an activated access card requiring viewers to purchase and maintain a low level subscription before they could "Open" the card and apply extra tiers using commonly available practices from the internet community.

Of course after they assumed majority share of the market they introduced a much higher level of security forcing all but a few to purchase a full subscription to view their desired programming.

Lol at 'theft' not being 'that bad'.

As a former musician, yes. It actually kills any chances some people had at making some money with music. I created, and sold sample CDs that I created myself, filtered myself, ect. It ended up on every damn torrent and DL site imaginable within weeks of selling my first batch. I tried to get them taken down, nope. Long story short, I kept checking back, at this point I sold maybe a hundred or so, and they were in the tens of thousands of downloads.... I was only selling them for $5. Which is insanely cheap for sample cds. Overall I lost in upwards of 50,000-100,000 just off a few sites I seen it posted on.

So yes. Piracy is bad for musicians, especially aspiring ones.
    SwitchLink #1 UK VPS Provider
    Never Oversold. Gigabit Connectivity. 100GB+ Network, We own our own hardware, All Branded Servers, flexibility that Webhosting cannot offer
    For more info contact me at [email protected]

yea because every single download = a lost sale

just because someone is willing to try a freebie dosn't mean they would have been willing to pay for it

and what about the advertizing power of torrent websites
    im not saying there advertizing it for free is good for you
    but they have a network of people you do not
    if they had not offered it most of these people would never have heard of you

I think you missed the point.

Clearly they're not willing to pay for it, if they're downloading it. A sample CD has nothing to do with 'advertising' it has to do with making money. Basically using that logic, if some one steals your websites entire theme and uses it as their own, its good advertising for you.

Those who have never been in my situation, or millions of others and think downloading music is ok, will never understand. But it does in fact hurt people, especially those who aren't signed to big labels. That is a undeniable fact. If you want to come up with lame excuses to make yourself feel better, so be it.
    SwitchLink #1 UK VPS Provider
    Never Oversold. Gigabit Connectivity. 100GB+ Network, We own our own hardware, All Branded Servers, flexibility that Webhosting cannot offer
    For more info contact me at [email protected]

ironically enough you seem to have missed my point

im not saying they where good advertizing for you
    im saying if they had not posted it how many of thows down-loaders would have found your site offering it

ill put it this way
    say you park yourself at the door of a local grocery store selling your music
    then someone gets a copy of it gows to another country on the other side of the world
    parks himself at the door of another grocery store giving it a way
    how many of the people he gave it to would have even heard of you let alone bot from you if he had not done anything

im not saying you should be happy people are giving your work away
    im saying downloads do not equal lost sales
    and a site with established visitors has access to people you do not

Website's:
    tv-release.net
    I also received this email few days ago :
    New Documentary Release

Hello, my name is Jan-Willem Breure. I'm a film maker from Holland. I've
    been following rlslog.net for quite some time and I love the films you make
    available.
    Even though warez is disliked in by the film industry, I think that warez
    can have a lot of potential for film makers. That is why I want to make my
    new documentary available on your blog.

My documentary is about society and teen sexuality, it is titled 'Are All
    Men Pedophiles? '

I've added information below, if you require more information, please let me
    know?

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJBwkcStjc
    Description: http://areallmenpedophiles.com/about-the-film
    DLL : http://uploaded.net/file/y63xvswm &
    http://rapidshare.com/files/87243025...0DVD%20Rip.zip
    Torrent Links :
    http://fenopy.eu/torrent/are+all+men...rip/OTA2NzIyNQ
    http://www.seedpeer.me/details/49486...s-DVD-Rip.html
    http://www.limetorrents.com/Are-All-...t-1647125.html
    http://h33t.com/torrent/un/4238556/a...philes-dvd-rip
    http://isohunt.com/release/873257
    IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2072045/