Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6367 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Uploading & Downloading Speeds on Servers [Tutorial]

Hello all,

After a few discussion with a person on MSN and also many others who complain to web hosting companies and dedicated hosting providers about their speeds they should read this.

This is going to be a pretty big reading tutorial but its worth it to understand how everything works.

================================================== ======

1. What is downloading? On general Noobish terms, means taking files from one server and downloading it to your server. Basically on Rapidleech terms it means transloading.

2. What is Uploading? One noobish terms again is when you transfer a file from your current server to another server, which we can say that we are transferring a file from your server to a file host such as FileServe.com

================================================== ======

Ok now i think everyone knows what Downloading and Uploading is.

Next part would be to see your speeds for your servers that you buy from companies, Is its a 10Mbit port, 100Mbit port, 1Gbit Port.

Ports & Speeds:

10Mb Dedicated Port:
    This means that your server has a 10Mbit port with full 10Mbit internet capability at any time of the day for your billing period.

How much download speed should i get when i am using the full 10Mb to the maximum? You should get: 1.25Mbps download speed.

100Mb Port: This means that your server has a 100Mbit port with shared 100Mbit internet capability which speeds vary depending on others users on the server.

How much download speed should i get when i am using the full 100Mb to the maximum? You should get: approx: 3-12.5Mbps download speed depending on the timezone on the number of people using the server since its a shared 100Mbps output port.

100Mb Dedicated Port: This means that your server has a 100Mbit port which is dedicated to you only and you should get 100Mbit output at full time.

How much download speed should i get when i am using the full 100Mb Dedicated port to the maximum? You should get: Around 12.5Mbps download speed at all times.

1Gb Shared Port: This means that your server has a 1Gbit port which is shared between you and other people on the server.The speeds depend on the number of people on the server and how many people are using it at a particular time.

How much download speed should i get when i am using the full 1Gb Shared port to the maximum? You should get: Around 10Mbps to 30Mbps download speed depending on the time.

1Gb Dedicated Port: This means that your server has a 1Gbit dedicated port which is at all times for you to use, and thus this will give you full 1Gbit connectivity until your billing period.

How much download speed should i get when i am using the full 1Gb Dedicated port to the maximum? You should get: 100Mbps to the maximum when using this or at some cases also 120Mbps.

================================================== =======

Now it seems like everyone has seen the download speeds they should get on the type of server they buy and the port speed where its shared or dedicated.

Now i would like to mention a few things that should be considered when buying a server for downloading and uploading usage.

1. Location of the server: You need to choose the location for your server very wisely and before doing this you need to consider many other factors.

a) Where will you be uploading and downloading the content from and to.
    b) What speed is enough for you. (This depends on cost aswell)
    c) The amount of RAM needed for the scripts you will use to perform these actions.

a) Where will you be uploading and downloading the content fromand to.
    You need to check this very wisely at most of the times you can ask your company to do a ping for you to the file hosts you would like to download and upload from. Usually you get to know if a Ping is low means that the transfer rate will be higher and faster and if high then transfer rate is low.

You also need to consider the locations of both the servers, from where you will be downloading and uploading from.

You cannot have a Server in USA, downloading a file USA giving you 50Mbps and uploading a file to Germany giving you 50Mbps. This is because of the locations there is a latency in between both the servers therefore the speeds decrease.

b) What speed is enough for you. (This depends on cost aswell)
    Depending on the amount of finance you have you can get a server but also you need to see what suits you best, you cannot go for a server with 10Mbit dedicated then you complain to the webhosting company or the datacentre that you are cheating me since the download speed i am getting is only 1.25Mbps. ( for that again read on the top )

c) The amount of RAM needed for the scripts you will use to perform these actions.
    This is also most considered as you can complain to your datacentre or web hosting provider that RAR/UNRAR is slow, but this can also depend on the RAM of your VPS or Dedicated and the number of people on the server.

2: Location of the other opposite server
    This is a very big aspect that I mainly have noticed that is going on since long. Many people start complaining that why is uploading to this filehost faster than uploading to the other. I know you must be asking that aswell right?

Well this depends on the locations of the servers where the filehosts are. It can be that File Host A is in USA and File Host B is in Germany.

If your server is from USA you will get faster upload speeds in FileHost A than B.

2: Location of the other opposite server in same country but yet slow
    There can be reasons that you may see that both the servers are in the same country but you yet get slow speeds. If you are a on a dedicated or shared you yet get slow speeds. Why is that so?

This can be due to two reasons:

[i] The opposite server has slow network speeds, therefore you can be uploading the file with a 1Gbit connection dedicated and the opposite person has 100's of people uploading to that server which is also on 1Gbit Dedicated Port, thus your download will get slow.

A picure example is below:

You can see the car is full of apples inside and others are outside, now if you want to fit one more apple onto the car, you need to stuff it therefore you may not get 100% satisfaction, therefore when downloading or uploading you will not get 100% Speeds thus the speeds will be low.

[ii] Your data center may have capped you at a certain bandwidth you use.
    Sometimes data center caps the servers after reaching a certain bandwidth they can lower your speeds for the server and this could be the reason.

================================================== =====

Now i think you guys should be knowing the differences with the speeds and why sometimes the speeds can go low and sometimes high

I have taken my time in writing this tutorial, for all the people who would like to know more about this issue they face in their day to day lives with servers.

Before shouting at any datacentre make sure you have the proof that its not the opposite server that is having slow speeds but your own.

If you yet face issues contact your datacentre and they should be able to fix the issue in case of any internal one.

================================================== ===

Please don't copy paste this to other websites. Please link back to this Topic and also Reference MySelf.

If any of the readers have any more information to add let me know and i will surely add it here.

References:
    What Is the Difference Between Mbps and MBps?
    Bandwidth conversion calculator

Thanks & Regards
    Sponge Bob Reviewed by Sponge Bob on . Uploading & Downloading Speeds on Servers [Tutorial] Hello all, After a few discussion with a person on MSN and also many others who complain to web hosting companies and dedicated hosting providers about their speeds they should read this. This is going to be a pretty big reading tutorial but its worth it to understand how everything works. ======================================================== 1. What is downloading? On general Noobish terms, means taking files from one server and downloading it to your server. Basically on Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Nice effort..

Website's:
    movietvshow.net
    nice work mate

Great Tutorial For Specially Newcomer

Thanks for the Great Tutorial.....

great infos there TNX

Respected Member
    Website's:
    DL4Everything.com Soft2050.in
    anybody provide these types of servers also:

?

thanks for this nice info

Banned
    Website's:
    xsl.tel xsltel.com
    great and nice tutorial

Regards

Thanks guys for your feedback

Took me 30Minutes to write that

Mate, you made a very important mistake. Please clearly differentiate Mbps and MBps, also explain the difference between the two. This is a very important basic to read further of the post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information