Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6844 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to be successful in a project or business

This is a tutorial on starting off when it comes to being successful. It's mostly about having the right mindset. If you don't have a good mindset you more than likely are going to fail. This tutorial will hopefully help people starting out with their first - fifth website being created. I'm Sp32 and I've created a few websites in the past but just to let everyone know I am not pretending to be a great guru or anything, I'm just trying to provide a good general base/foundation on where to start. So before any further adieu here we go.

1) GET AN IDEA ON WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO DO

Okay, you've probably been called a noob a few times and demotivated by all the super "pro's" in the scene. First of all they're more than likely fucktards who have no clue about anything and just like to call everyone a fail. What you want to do is obviously prove them wrong (that's not your main objective but it's a good source of motivation). So once this has happened you'll probably have an idea of what you want to create. Your idea will more than likely be a copy of a different website but you think yours will be better as you can add better features/system and increase user enjoyability. If you haven't got an idea on what to do you'll need to do some brainstorming. You've probably read this a thousand times but the reason being is because it's true. Do something you enjoy!!!!!

Finding something you enjoy may sound pretty damn easy but it isn't really as simple as that. Do something you're passionate about and do regularly. For instance I play pool a lot (I'm talking about 5/6 days a week). I could write several tutorials and provide a lot of information on this subject and it probably hasn't been utilised to the max as most pool players probably don't know how to set up and configure a website as you do/will do. To create something like this I could go for a default HTML website template found for free off of the internet or something like WordPress which would probably be more suitable. Or I could even go for something like vBulletin/PHPBB which would provide a more community-like feel. Finding an idea on what you're going to create can be difficult so it is usually good to think of something whilst you're going to sleep (make sure not to forget it lol). And if you wake up still feeling positive about the idea then you'll have your foundation created. (Yay!).

2) SET THAT SITE UP

This will probably be the more difficult part depending on your knowledge. I really don't want to make this tutorial technical as it isn't a technical guide. But lets cross those bridges when we come to them. So now you should have a good idea on what you want to create whether it be an ice cream fan site or a small niche website (niche is an area of something such as ice cream would be a niche, houses would be a niche, technology would be a niche etc. You can think of a niche being the subject of interest). Okay so now you need to figure out what software you're going to use for your website. This is important as you'll more than likely be keeping this software throughout the lifetime of your website. You will more than likely have a site that you enjoy visiting and think the software on that website is great. If this is the case you will need to find out what software the website is using. To do this usually you can check the footer (bottom of the page) to see if it says anything such as "Powered by BlogEngine" or anything to do with "Powered By *". (* = the software name). So now you have found this out you will want to get that software. I think we all know whether you're going to buy it or not. But one thing I must explain very clearly. If you are starting a hosting company BUY EVERYTHING if you do not you will get very limited clients. Using a nulled WHMCS script will earn you no respect and make you look amateur. You can find the script you want by searching for it via google or by searching a 'generous' forum.

Okay now you have your idea/niche. You have the software/script you want to use on your website and you need to set up a website. You can do this by going to a domain registrar (I recommend Dynadot. GoDaddy is okay and I've used it in the past but the speeds in the control panel and the interface is whack as fuck). You will need to buy a domain. Whatever the fuck you do DO NOT BUY A .INFO .info is the king of amateur. If you want to be a complete and utter cheapskate buy a .info or if you can't get a hold of a small amount of money due to credit card reasons or whatever buy a .info and try your complete and utter hardest to raise a bit of money through the .info domain and then buy a .com, .org or .net tld. (tld means the last few letters after the "."). For the record my first ever domain was a .info domain and I eventually raised the money for a .org domain and my future was bright. (.com .org and .net are liked by google more than most other tlds (Not 100% Sure on this so if Mr Happy comes along he can kindly see I put this here so he doesn't have to be all like NO THAT IS NOT TRUE MR Sp32!! )

Okay so hopefully you will have a .com, .org or .net domain. You'll now need hosting. I'm not gonna recommend any host for this. Go for a well established company with a lot of clients. You can find these using KWWHunction, DigitalPoint & WebHostingTalk. For this tutorial I'll provide an example of KWWHunction.

Go to this link here:

Code: 
    http://www.besthostingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=replycount
    To see the most replied thread in the shared hosting section. (Yes, get shared hosting unless you are an experienced webmaster (I'm being serious, don't get a VPS)). Once you have found a thread with a large amount of replies READ THE GOD DAMN REPLIES. Don't assume because there are a large amount of replies that'll be okay as a lot of replies are usually by the host (the actual company) or people complaining. If you think the host seems decent then go with the company.

Now you'll need to link your domain to your host. This involves using Domain Name Servers. Your host will give you these and all you have to do is go to Dynadot, click on your domain and click on the "Name Servers" tab/link and put the two name servers your host gave you in the first two boxes and click save. Name servers appear in this format (Not all the time but most of the time) ns1.yourhostsnamehere.com & ns2.yourhostsnamehere.com. After this is done it'll usually take around 6 hours. (This is if you're in the UK, the USA is usually faster and other countries will more than likely be slower (always depends)). It'll never take more than 48 hours so if it comes to 48 hours you have probably done something wrong or your host hasn't set up their name servers properly (It's probably you who has done something wrong). Don't accuse your host of doing something wrong as this'll give you a bad start and maybe you'll lose your host. So now everything is working fine you'll want to connect to your server via ftp. These details will probably be with the same email that contains your name servers. Such as your username and your password. Download an ftp client such as FileZilla (Google it). If you don't trust it, scan it. Believe me the application has never had a virus in it before so it's safe. Once you install it, you'll need to create a new website. Add your domain name, your username and your password. (File - Site Manager, Select New Site, put Logon type as normal). Click OK then in the top left hand side of the screen click the little square button with the down arrow next to it (Click the down arrow). Then chose 'New Site' or whatever you named your new site. Once connected you'll see a bunch of folders. If you see a public_html or a www folder open up that folder and upload your script/files to this folder. (Make sure to upload all the files and not the .rar file). Once this is done you'll need to read a manual or tutorial provided with your script to set it all up. You'll need to create a MySQL username and database. Your host will probably have given you cPanel or similar software. In cPanel just go to MySQL Databases and you can set everything up there (It's really simple, be brave!). Once your site is fully functional you'll need to add stuff to it.

Okay, you've probably been called a noob a few times and demotivated by all the super "pro's" in the scene. First of all they're more than likely fucktards who have no clue about anything and just like to call everyone a fail. What you want to do is obviously prove them wrong (that's not your main objective but it's a good source of motivation). So once this has happened you'll probably have an idea of what you want to create. Your idea will more than likely be a copy of a different website but you think yours will be better as you can add better features/system and increase user enjoyability. If you haven't got an idea on what to do you'll need to do some brainstorming. You've probably read this a thousand times but the reason being is because it's true. Do something you enjoy!!!!!

Finding something you enjoy may sound pretty damn easy but it isn't really as simple as that. Do something you're passionate about and do regularly. For instance I play pool a lot (I'm talking about 5/6 days a week). I could write several tutorials and provide a lot of information on this subject and it probably hasn't been utilised to the max as most pool players probably don't know how to set up and configure a website as you do/will do. To create something like this I could go for a default HTML website template found for free off of the internet or something like WordPress which would probably be more suitable. Or I could even go for something like vBulletin/PHPBB which would provide a more community-like feel. Finding an idea on what you're going to create can be difficult so it is usually good to think of something whilst you're going to sleep (make sure not to forget it lol). And if you wake up still feeling positive about the idea then you'll have your foundation created. (Yay!).

3) ADDING STUFF TO YOUR FRESH WEBSITE

Okay, so we've crossed a few bridges now and are probably about 60% done (yay!). So what we want to do now is install a style/fancy looking design to our website. If you are using WordPress go into the "appearance" section and find a theme you like. If you are using a less common script Google "Styles yourscriptnamehere" if nothing comes up try "Themes yourscriptnamehere". Now install that style. It should be fairly easy to install, maybe you'll have to upload it via FileZilla to a /styles folder or something along those lines then login to the administration panel and click activate or something along those lines.

Now that is done you'll probably have a shitty looking logo. Don't worry too much about that, just ask a friend or someone at KWWHunction to create you one for free (Someone will create you one for free, you will probably not have to pay for this). So replace your current logo by right clicking the logo on your website and clicking "Copy image location". Open notepad and right click and press paste. This'll give you the location of the image. If it says http://www.yourawesomesitehere.com/s...rcool/logo.png you'll need to use FileZilla and go into the styles folder, the supercool folder then replace the logo.png with your new logo. Or your script will provide you an option to replace the logo in the administration panel. Once this is done you'll be jumping around in circle as you have your newly awesome created website. Time to get ready to the step most people dislike (adding content). If you created a website that sells candy (lame idea, right?) and your script is some sort of e-commerce software (Probably the first thing you found via Google called Interspire).

4) FINISH OFF THE SETTING UP BY DOING SEO WORK

Okay this is hard to explain, well it isn't really that hard it's just the fact you can learn this mostly yourself. SEO means Search Engine Optimisation. It basically means "Make Google like your website" If Google likes your website he'll give you lost of traffic, traffic = visitors. So what do you need to do, your script doesn't say anything about SEO? Well that sucks. Google "Yourscriptname Sitemap" and see what comes up. If you have vBulletin it should display mods that generate sitemaps. Sitemaps are XML files that list your websites links all in one file for Google to read very quickly and note down what is where. Sitemaps are key! Once this is done you'll probably want to add your Sitemap to your google account (If you don't have one, get one). Once you have one go to -> https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ and add/verify your website. Click add sitemap and point to the link of your xml file on your website. For example myawesomesaucewebsiteaboutbritishcandybars.tld/sitemap.xml.gz (sometimes there may not be a .gz after the xml). Once this is done you should be pretty happy with yourself. So once you have done this pull a little smile off quickly.

You'll probably be able to find URL rewrite plugins to also increase your rankings in google. I'm not going into detail with this but just Google your scripts name and put stuff like 'url rewrite' after your scripts name or put 'myscriptsname friendly urls' and see what comes up.

5) ADDING ACTUAL DECENT CONTENT/POSTS

Start doing what you planned on doing in step 1. If you have an awesome idea about selling british candy bars you'll want to login to the control panel and start adding candy to your website. This'll build up the pages and make your site more preferred in Google. If you have a WordPress Blog, start blogging!). It's simple but very tedious to add content to your website and that is why most people fail at being a webmaster. Also don't bother with putting advertisements on your website as you'll generate no revenue and will discourage people from visiting.

This process should take a good 2 - 3 months if it takes a week you will more than likely have spent god knows how many hours creating amazing content or your content will be shabby and not very good which will cause you to have low traffic and content. Do not go to the first website you find and start copying and pasting everything as that'll make your website get flagged by Google panda for being a lame arse dupe website. (There are actually well designed dupe websites that get content from other websites and do a lot with that content called spinning, that is a whole different kettle of fish which we do not want to dive into right now, at all).

6) HOW TO STAY INTERESTED AND MOTIVATED IN WHAT YOU'RE DOING

Here it comes the nearing of the end of this epic huge informative guide. This part is probably the most valuable and important part of the guide. If you know how to stay keen and interested in what you're doing you'll be able to keep your business/project to keep on growing and growing. This may sound silly but I think one of the best things to do to get back into the thrive you had at the start of the project is by finding some incentive. You can find incentive by watching Movies that revolve around inspiration. For example if you were training to be a martial artist and saw the "Kickboxer" series of films you'd probably a lot more focused on to be like the people in that film, legendary-like. For Webmaster inspirational films a great film to watch is the social network. Or if your ultimate dream is to be a security expert and you were studying security a great film to watch would be Swordfish. All these things help a lot with determination.

Another great inspiration is to speak to someone who is successful at doing something you want to do or something similar that you want to do. For instance if you had the owner of warez-bb on your MSN contact list and you were creating a warez blog one of the greatest things you can do is speak to the owner of warez-bb and ask him for information, what it is like to be in his shoes, things he did to get to where he was etc!

You really are only limited to what you're willing to do. If you have know thrive in what you're doing you won't do a great job. It might work out in the end but it's unlikely.

7) HOW TO DRIVE TRAFFIC TO YOUR WEBSITE TO INCREASE PROFIT/POTENTIAL

Other key factors as advertising and promoting weren't mentioned in this tutorial and I'll add those a bit later on once I have a bit more experience with keyword targeting + adwords.

Credit goes to Sp32
    (myself) for being awesome and helping everyone out by creating this.
    Sp32 Reviewed by Sp32 on . How to be successful in a project or business This is a tutorial on starting off when it comes to being successful. It's mostly about having the right mindset. If you don't have a good mindset you more than likely are going to fail. This tutorial will hopefully help people starting out with their first - fifth website being created. I'm Sp32 and I've created a few websites in the past but just to let everyone know I am not pretending to be a great guru or anything, I'm just trying to provide a good general base/foundation on where to Rating: 5

So kiss me and smile for me, say that you'll wait for me <'3

2.   Sponsored Links

Banned
    Website's:
    Seecure.me
    Quick scim.
    Thanks bud.

Banned
    awesome man ! Nicely written . Will take some actions

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

WoW. Thanks for the thread Sp32

You need 40 minutes to finished it ? We need more than 40 minutes to learn it. Good written

Work Hard Earn Much

Glad you like it guys, I should have it finished by tomorrow night or maybe Sunday (Time to partayyyyy!!)

Very nice tutorial mate, just one thing though, you have written the following content twice. Once at the beginning, and once at the end of section 2, just thought I would point it out.

Banned
    Website's:
    KWWHunction.com
    Very Nice Tutorial
    Thanks

nice Mine is,,, just set your mind to man

Glad you guys like, the reason I put the same info twice was to make it sink in a bit better. It looks like I'll be adding the last part/s tomorrow as I have stuff to do tonight as it's saturday

awesome buddy read it all and ready the way you wrote that para twice, that was an awesom act to remind user of that thingy...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information