Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6458 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Default Automated Backups for VPS via Rsync

Well guys, I figure this is something that we can ALL find useful since we run websites on mostly VPSs. Maybe I can edit this thread once my questions have been answered into a clear-cut tutorial for others.

I've got Rsync set up and working with the command:

rsync -ravz -e "ssh -p 10286 -i /root/.ssh/id_dsa" root@MYIPADDRESS:/home/www/ /home/www/

That copied over a full copy of my /home/www directory from my Main VPS into my Backup VPS.

But what is the difference between -archive (-a) and -backup (-b)?

My goal is to have it create a weekly backup into a new folder/zip file.
    IE: 08.01.2011, 08.08.2011, 08.15.2011, etc, I know I can use Cron jobs to run the command, but what is the correct command to do that?

Thanks!
    LuDo8 Reviewed by LuDo8 on . Automated Backups for VPS via Rsync Well guys, I figure this is something that we can ALL find useful since we run websites on mostly VPSs. Maybe I can edit this thread once my questions have been answered into a clear-cut tutorial for others. I've got Rsync set up and working with the command: rsync -ravz -e "ssh -p 10286 -i /root/.ssh/id_dsa" root@MYIPADDRESS:/home/www/ /home/www/ That copied over a full copy of my /home/www directory from my Main VPS into my Backup VPS. But what is the difference between -archive Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

-a is archive which does the job of "rlptgoD" options i.e. recursive, links, permissions, time, group, ownership, devices.
    -b is not really necessary.

To create a weekly backup, set a cronjob to execute the following rsync command once in a week:

rsync -ravz -e "ssh -p 10286 -i /root/.ssh/id_dsa" root@MYIPADDRESS:/home/www/ /home/www/$(date +"%d-%m-%Y")/
    Change the date format above as per your requirement.
    Linux System Administrator
    Server Management at affordable cost.
    linuxhostingsupport.net | MSN:[email protected]

Thread Information