Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6702 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Website's:
    iGotMusic.org NitroRoms.com GamersFire.com

Default [Music] Opinions on forum structure/listings

I hate genres. I'm a musician myself

Anyway.

This is my setup at the moment. Keep in mind this has been like this for quite a while, almost since I first started up IGM. Now that it's officially back after a long downtime, I'm looking to overhaul it.

Obviously none of these sections are enforced dramatically... (if someone puts Eric Clapton in Blues or Rock, both are acceptable..)

1st Main Section
    • Rock & Metal Albums
    • Hip-Hop/R&B/Rap Albums
    • Jazz Albums
    • Pop Albums
    • Techno, Dance & Electro Albums
    • Country Albums
    • Classical Albums
    • World & Ethnic Albums
    • Blues Albums
    • Others & VA Albums

2nd Main Section
    • Single Songs
    • Music Videos & Concerts
    • Original Soundtracks (OSTs)
    • Complete Discographies
    • Techno, Dance & Electro Albums
    • eBooks, Sheet Music & Tabs
    • Music Software & Tools

Right now I'm thinking of the process of splitting up Rock/Metal into obviously Rock/Hard Rock... then Metal by itself.

Any opinions out there? (Also on 2nd section too). Oh did I mention that I hate genres...
    Golden Falcon Reviewed by Golden Falcon on . [Music] Opinions on forum structure/listings I hate genres. I'm a musician myself :facepalm: Anyway. This is my setup at the moment. Keep in mind this has been like this for quite a while, almost since I first started up IGM. Now that it's officially back after a long downtime, I'm looking to overhaul it. Obviously none of these sections are enforced dramatically... (if someone puts Eric Clapton in Blues or Rock, both are acceptable..) 1st Main Section Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Rock & Metal genre can be expanded, at least I wouldn't mix classic rock artists with these newer artists. It's just not right, so you could either separate it by the era ('60s, '70s, '80s, '90s) or by sub-genre which would be a bitch, as pretty much all new artists claim they have their sub-genre.

Other thing you could do is allow members to add prefixes, so if someone posts an album of let's say, Tokio Hotel - he can put the "emo", or "pop rock" prefix, which is what they are.

But then again, you'll have problems with bands like Blondie, they belong to a few genres. However, they're a rock band generally.

Website's:
    iGotMusic.org NitroRoms.com GamersFire.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicidalMedia View Post
    Rock & Metal genre can be expanded, at least I wouldn't mix classic rock artists with these newer artists. It's just not right, so you could either separate it by the era ('60s, '70s, '80s, '90s) or by sub-genre which would be a bitch, as pretty much all new artists claim they have their sub-genre.
    Yea I think i'm going to create some sub-genre's in the most popular sections. Sections like Classical and Country won't have too many sub-genres.

The Problem I have with dates is that bands like AC/DC released their last album 2008 (and are making a new one). Lots of bands span dates, so I don't think I'll make dates.

I think I'll just gather the most used sub-genres and create their respective sub-forums under Rock, then under Metal.

Other thing you could do is allow members to add prefixes, so if someone posts an album of let's say, Tokio Hotel - he can put the "emo", or "pop rock" prefix, which is what they are.
    We have a tag system where members can put anything they want "hard rock, metal, 320kbps, fileserve" etc. That should cover that issue.

But then again, you'll have problems with bands like Blondie, they belong to a few genres. However, they're a rock band generally.
    Blondie

Thread Information