Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6778 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to wget without leaving putty on

Hey Guys
    I wanted to ask u is there a way i can wget without leaving the putty on as i need to wget 80gbs folder to another server of mine and i have some connection problems in my home connection ie if putty closes the wget also gets closed i think so is there a way to auto wget without me being connected to the net ?
    msk19994 Reviewed by msk19994 on . How to wget without leaving putty on Hey Guys I wanted to ask u is there a way i can wget without leaving the putty on as i need to wget 80gbs folder to another server of mine and i have some connection problems in my home connection ie if putty closes the wget also gets closed i think so is there a way to auto wget without me being connected to the net ? Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Respected Member
    Website's:
    DL4Everything.com Soft2050.in

You can call me G
    run the command via GNU Screen. When your session drops just connect back and get back to the initial screen . There are a fair number of tutorials about using it.. Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Gaurav

edit: woops soft2050 beat me

My Langotiya Yaars (Chaddi buddies): JmZ, humour, Chutad, Esotorisk, l0calhost, Daniel, Mind Freak?, TLK, Amz

so its like after i install this when i wget if my connection stops then it will be disconnected with it but when i reconnect it will resume right ?
    ok so is there any other way like i only connect once and then close it and then it automatically does the wget

Respected Member
    Website's:
    DL4Everything.com Soft2050.in
    Nope, screen is the other way round. It won't die once you close the connection off, so your file would still be downloading. The processes of the screen are active in the background.

oh cool so its what i want ie when suppose i come online it would be downloaded

(never mind it was already installed lets see if it works)

using -b puts it in the background

if you support nohup you could run;

nohup wget http://website.com/file.bin &

and like people have said above , the screen command works as well.

i have actually used the screen command as others proposed will see what happens when i open the pc

Use screen, then run your desired command(s), hit ctrl + a + d to detach the screen session.
    When you want to reatach, do screen -ls, it'll show running screen sessions, then screen -R screenID (replace screenID by the output from screen -ls) and you're done.

Website's:
    epicimagehost.com
    Imo screen is a must for every linux admin.

It'll make your life so much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information