Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
61080 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trademark issue

Hello there;
    I'm offering a clone script for a famous website. However my webhost received these email and forwarded it to me and they gave me 3 days to close the website or resolve the issue.
    I've replaced every word about the website name with "TM" in the message.

Name
    Address st1
    Address st2
    City, State , Zip
    U.S.A.

Dear Sir or Madam,
    This letter is being written to you on behalf of our client, TM Inc. (TM).
    TM is the exclusive owner of all trademark and other intellectual property
    rights in and to the TM trademarks (the Trademarks). TM owns trademark
    registrations for the Trademarks. TM uses the Trademarks in connection with,
    among other things, its search engine services and
    services for searching and retrieving information and other resources available
    on computer networks, and these marks have become firmly associated with TM in
    the minds of the public. Based on the foregoing rights, it is a violation of
    federal and state law for others to advertise, utilize, offer for sale, and/or
    engage in services in connection with the Trademarks without the express written
    permission of TM.

Nonetheless, it has come to our attention that a websited hosted with you is
    advertising, using, offering for sale, and/or engaging in services on the
    website located at http://www . TM clone script .com in connection with the
    Trademarks in an unauthorized manner.

Courts have held that the use of trademarks constitutes trademark infringement.
    See, e.g., Kassbaum v. Steppenwolf Productions, Inc., 236 F.3d 487 (9th Cir.
    2000); Brookfield Comm., Inc. v. West Coast Entertainment Corp., 174 F.3d 1036
    (9th Cir.1999); Google Inc. v. American Blind & Wallpaper Factory, 2005 WL832398
    (N.D.Cal.); Playboy Enterprises, Inc. v. Calvin Designer Label, 985 F. Supp.
    1220 (N.D. Cal. 1997); Eli Lilly & Co. v. Natural Answers, Inc., 86 F.Supp.2d
    834, 844 (S.D. Ind. 2000), aff\'d 233 F.3d 456 (7th Cir. 2000).

The use of the Trademarks is of utmost concern to TM. TM contends that the
    use and exploitation of the Trademarks constitutes trademark infringement, false
    advertisement and/or unfair competition in violation of federal and state law.
    Consumers who become aware of the website may erroneously believe that the
    website is licensed, sponsored, or authorized by TM. TM considers your
    conduct to constitute a serious violation of its rights and to be very damaging
    to its business and reputation.

In accordance with the provisions the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
    Please expeditiously take down or block access to the infringing material and
    take appropriate action against the customer to prevent future abuse.

Declaration
    I, the undersigned, ! CERTIFY UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY that I am an agent
    authorized to act on behalf of the owner of certain intellectual property
    rights, said exclusive owners being named:
    TM Inc, Address, City, State, zip

I have a good faith belief that the items or materials listed below are not
    authorized by the above intellectual property owners, their agents, or the law
    and therefore infringe their rights.

I further aver that the information contained in the Notice is accurate.

Trademark: TM

I may be contacted at:
    [email protected]

Very truly yours,
    Name
    Company Name
    My webhost is in EU (Servage.net), and I live in Egypt.
    What do you think I should do? especially that the TM is in my domain, plus there are 3 other competitors who also offer a clone to this website.
    Any solutions?
    I received this email yesterday forwarded from my webhost and they said that they'll stop my website in 3 days !
    fokakmeny Reviewed by fokakmeny on . Trademark issue Hello there; I'm offering a clone script for a famous website. However my webhost received these email and forwarded it to me and they gave me 3 days to close the website or resolve the issue. I've replaced every word about the website name with "TM" in the message. My webhost is in EU (Servage.net), and I live in Egypt. What do you think I should do? especially that the TM is in my domain, plus there are 3 other competitors who also offer a clone to this website. Any solutions? I Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

I don't see why considering it's a clone, since you will be putting it like "TM.com Clone" it's not affiliating you or the company with eachother. You could ask whether a 'We are not affiliated with TM.com' at your footer would be acceptable, if not, remove anything you say about TM.com (rename the script) and change the design if you've copied there design as well.

Also I may add, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 is a USA law so it shouldn't be a problem but as for the trademark voilation the EU has it's own trademark laws - I recall the EU asking about an agreement between the USA and the EU but I'm not sure whether they have a trademark agreement - since the notice was sent under the DMCA it is most likely the trademark is registered in the EU.

ijust want to ask u a question
    why would u even consider forwarding this message to your host

Quote Originally Posted by Putin View Post
    I don't see why considering it's a clone, since you will be putting it like "TM.com Clone" it's not affiliating you or the company with eachother. You could ask whether a 'We are not affiliated with TM.com' at your footer would be acceptable, if not, remove anything you say about TM.com (rename the script) and change the design if you've copied there design as well.

Also I may add, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 is a USA law so it shouldn't be a problem but as for the trademark voilation the EU has it's own trademark laws - I recall the EU asking about an agreement between the USA and the EU but I'm not sure whether they have a trademark agreement - since the notice was sent under the DMCA it is most likely the trademark is registered in the EU.
    Thanks very much for your reply.
    I'm not good with legal stuff, that's why I feel a little clumsy
    I've replied to them today, and I'll add this section about 'We are not affiliated with TM.com'
    If they didn't accept, I'll have to rename everything, but this will make me lose search engines since I depend on them for traffic :\

Quote Originally Posted by msk19994 View Post
    ijust want to ask u a question
    why would u even consider forwarding this message to your host
    forwarded from my webhost
    FORWARDED

move to offshore NL

Quote Originally Posted by Cometolearn View Post
    move to offshore NL
    Any recommended hosts?
    I also have a problem with the domain name since I've registered it with the webhosting from servage :/ and I don't know if they'll let me host it some where else or not!

there are loads here chechk in server section and also move ur domain to name.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cometolearn View Post
    there are loads here chechk in server section and also move ur domain to name.com
    LOL, name.com = USA company, since it's a DMCA/trademark issue that'd be the worst place to go.

Try a South Korean registrar (try googling for one) or an asian country - Maybe an Iranian domain registrar if such exists.

Don't advise you to go offshore though, they'd close your PayPal account (if that's what you're using) ... try webmoney since that's a Russian payment gateway.

As for server location, Russia or another asian country.

How about changing domain name and renaming everything that's related to them?
    Since the domain name already has TM in it, They will claim to ICANN and seize it anyway, right?
    But I need to keep the website/script name as TM clone script , is that possible?
    that's the whole Idea :/

Banned
    Website's:
    takedownpiracy.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fokakmeny View Post
    How about changing domain name and renaming everything that's related to them?
    Since the domain name already has TM in it, They will claim to ICANN and seize it anyway, right?
    But I need to keep the website/script name as TM clone script , is that possible?
    that's the whole Idea :/
    that would work perfect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information