Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6739 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Respected Member

Default Java stinks: Turn off your Java browser plugin

Do any of you regularly visit a site that requires Java to be installed on your computer?

I was reading through some tech blogs a few days ago and heard about a new Java 0day exploit. Malicious websites are already using this exploit to compromise computers.

Naturally I hurried to disable the Java browser-plugin for my browser. I'm not sure why I had it installed in the first place. Which sites even use Java applets nowadays?

Anyway, If you're reading this thread, chances are:

• You're running a vulnerable version of Java
    • You have the Java browser-plugin installed
    • Your anti-virus won't be able to do much against most of these new backdoors (modified to avoid signature detection by AV's)

For now you probably haven't been infected with any viruses, but because all it takes is for you to visit a malicious website, you put yourself at risk of infection whenever you cruise the net.

I suggest you all disable Java or update it as soon as possible. Since I don't ever interact with a Java applet, I've disabled the Java browser plugin indefinitely.

PS: The update apparently also has an exploit in it that allows for sandbox bypass (which isn't being exploited...yet). Oracle's programmers clearly can't be trusted to code a secure sandbox environment.

Unless you're one of the few who regularly interacts with a Java applet; you should disable the browser plug-in permanently or enable it only for specific websites.

Edit By JmZ:

If you are using chrome ignore this warning completely, chrome disables java by default, do not worry, do not panic, do nothing.
    Loget Reviewed by Loget on . Java stinks: Turn off your Java browser plugin Do any of you regularly visit a site that requires Java to be installed on your computer? I was reading through some tech blogs a few days ago and heard about a new Java 0day exploit. Malicious websites are already using this exploit to compromise computers. Naturally I hurried to disable the Java browser-plugin for my browser. I'm not sure why I had it installed in the first place. Which sites even use Java applets nowadays? Anyway, If you're reading this thread, chances are: Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

It's called a "Drive-by installation".
    Super easy to setup. NEVER run a java applet.
    We are always running for the thrill of it, thrill of it
    Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
    On and on and on we are calling out and out again
    Never looking down, I'm just in awe of what's in front of me

firefox blocked that plugin automatic and i was wondering how i got that plugin?

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/blocked/p125
    Roses are Red,
    Violets are blue,
    I have five fingers
    The middle ones for you

Website's:
    cancerite.com
    I am sorry I dont know much about this but isnt there a critical update 6.0.310.5 which fixes this? Or maybe I am wrong, anyways I have disabled it.

If you need to run Java applets, enable click-to-play* for plugins in your browser. If you don't, just disable the plugin. Also, don't mistake Java for JavaScript.

Oh and this issue only affects Java 7 update 7, version 6 is unaffected. Disable the plugin either way if you're not using it.

To those wondering how they have the plugin - you installed Java. Minecraft, Open/LibreOffice, Android SDK, Eclipse all require Java.

* Click to play in:
    • Firefox: Go to about:config, search for plugins.click_to_play and double click to enable
    • Chrome: Go to chrome://chrome/settings/ -> Show advanced settings -> Content settings -> Plugins: Click to play

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    If you need to run Java applets, enable click-to-play* for plugins in your browser. If you don't, just disable the plugin. Also, don't mistake Java for JavaScript.

Oh and this issue only affects Java 7 update 7, version 6 is unaffected. Disable the plugin either way if you're not using it.

To those wondering how they have the plugin - you installed Java. Minecraft, Open/LibreOffice, Android SDK, Eclipse all require Java.

* Click to play in:
    • Firefox: Go to about:config, search for plugins.click_to_play and double click to enable
    • Chrome: Go to chrome://chrome/settings/ -> Show advanced settings -> Content settings -> Plugins: Click to play
    is this setting is correct in my firefox browser or i need to change the value to false

Respected Member
    Website's:
    GraffThe.Net MCSkatty.com MCSkatty.co.uk MCSkatty.net MCSkatty.org MCSkatty.info
    I fell for this once, Never again ...

Last time i help members check their sites
    GraffThe.Net - The #1 Graffiti Download Site.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Website's:
    Xenu.ws WarezLinkers.com SerialSurf.com CracksDirect.com
    FYI chrome disables java by default, it asks for your confirmation/permission to execute it before allowing it.

So anyone with chrome can pretty much ignore all of this since it doesn't run anyway.
    Projects:
    WCDDL - The Professional DDL Script
    Top Secret Project: In Development - ZOMG
    ImgTrack - Never Have Dead Images Again!

Firefox also blocks Java 7u7 applets by default afaik.

clicksor is major contain this java applet i already re-installed the windows because of adware stuck on my computer screen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information