Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6860 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Website's:
    CarAudioChat.com BneHost.com Droid-Me.com

Arrow Read if you want to start a hosting company

When you run a web hosting business, it can be grueling and tiresome. There are a lot of different aspects one must remember. A lot of people think that starting a hosting business is:

1. Access to quick cash.
    2. Build a site and let it sit there, customers will come.
    3. Supporting clients will be easy.

These in my eyes are the worst idea?s to go into the business with! You may get a few customers at first and with a few customers comes a little bit of money. Most web hosts don?t realize that if they don?t have backup funding that they need to save that money. Thus creating a fly-by-the-night web host because they don?t have the money to pay for there server at the end of the month.

You need to know many things when becoming a web host. You must have more then basic linux knowledge or have the funds to hire someone who does. Your server may not hiccup for the first few months because your not hosting many websites. I can promise you that after you start hosting more clients your server will start to incur issues that need to be researched and fixed by someone who knows what they are doing. One mistake and you lose everything, including the clients that you have.

Don?t like alarm clocks going off at 3 or 4am? Then i recommend straying away from this business. Imagine yourself sleeping really well and all of the sudden your computer starts going off. What is that you ask? Its one of your clients needing help. What? Your tired? It doesn?t matter! They are paying you for a service and there website doesn?t close so why should the web host! Get your butt up and answer it! That is just a start.

Do you think you have an awesome social life? Not anymore; starting a web hosting company requires that you tell your friends no when they ask you to go out to the bar, go on dates and simply hangout. You must attend to your business in order to keep it growing and keep the current clients that you have.

There are so many different hosts out there, and i have visited a few hundred of them late at night and early in the morning that say they provide 24/7/365 support, but yet i can never get an answer from them when i ask. Yeah, they are probably just snoring away in there comfy bed while true clients are having issues. To me that is seriously unfair and against all morals of being a web host.

This is just a simple thrown together way of telling you what its like being a web host. I am in no way at all saying not to get into the business, but if you are going to do it, please do it correctly. So many people get ripped off everyday by fly-by-the-night web hosts that it makes them not want to trust another one. Thus making it harder for other people that have what it takes to start up. Everything you do no matter who you are, reflects on the rest of us. Do it right, or don?t do it at all!

I hope this sheds just a little bit of light on what its like being a web host, or what its like in the grueling world of trying to catch up to the bigger web hosts that are multi million dollar companies.

What are you waiting for? Let me help you google some more information! http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+it+ta...ng+provider%3F
    bnehost Reviewed by bnehost on . Read if you want to start a hosting company When you run a web hosting business, it can be grueling and tiresome. There are a lot of different aspects one must remember. A lot of people think that starting a hosting business is: 1. Access to quick cash. 2. Build a site and let it sit there, customers will come. 3. Supporting clients will be easy. These in my eyes are the worst idea?s to go into the business with! You may get a few customers at first and with a few customers comes a little bit of money. Most web Rating: 5

Get Your Android On And Win A Free VPS - http://droid-me.com

2.   Sponsored Links

Great post
    Removed

Website's:
    Thank you Promochain, if you have something to add please add it

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnehost View Post
    Don?t like alarm clocks going off at 3 or 4am? Then i recommend straying away from this business. Imagine yourself sleeping really well and all of the sudden your computer starts going off. What is that you ask? Its one of your clients needing help. What? Your tired? It doesn?t matter! They are paying you for a service and there website doesn?t close so why should the web host! Get your butt up and answer it! That is just a start.
    Excellent information. Hosting business is just as hard as any other business out there.

If you don't put enough time and money into it, you won't get anywhere. Not to mention that knowledge is indeed a must, otherwise you fail.
    Have fitness or bodybuilding question? Ask Smith!

Website's:
    There is a lot of stuff i left out, that is just some of the main stuff that everyone should know about. I will be randomly posting articles like this so keep your eyes peeled

Yea, let's not sell $5 RDP accounts and KWWHunction will be a better place.

Website's:
    daringhost.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bnehost View Post
    Most web hosts don?t realize that if they don?t have backup funding that they need to save that money. Thus creating a fly-by-the-night web host because they don?t have the money to pay for there server at the end of the month.
    Very good point as well. When you run a business (any business, not just webhosting) it's mandatory to have a petty cash fund. You can use the petty cash fund to pay for unexpected expenses without having to worry having enough money at the end of the month to pay to keep your servers up. Even fortune 500 companies have petty cash funds on hand at all times.
    DaringHost.com - Web Hosting + VPS Services World Wide!
    Contact Us | [email protected] | +1.203.936.7138 |

Banned
    Website's:
    XmasPresent4Me.com
    Any good host will have several months operational expenses set aside.

It is a business and it should be run as such in an adult manner by Adults.

The trouble with many of these hosts that fail so quickly is it is usually a adolescent running them, sometimes from the parents basement, garage, or house, other times from a college dorm room.

If they fail they bail and come back next month with a new domain name.

But I am opinionated that you should not conduct business with people that are not old enough to drink alcohol, vote, or sign a legally binding contract without a parent or guardians co-sign.

Website's:
    Quote Originally Posted by LEVAC109 View Post
    Yea, let's not sell $5 RDP accounts and KWWHunction will be a better place.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by DaringHost View Post
    Very good point as well. When you run a business (any business, not just webhosting) it's mandatory to have a petty cash fund. You can use the petty cash fund to pay for unexpected expenses without having to worry having enough money at the end of the month to pay to keep your servers up. Even fortune 500 companies have petty cash funds on hand at all times.
    Without a backup funding the host is as good as gone as soon as they lose a few clients or don't meet there quota for the month.

Quote Originally Posted by WDF View Post
    Any good host will have several months operational expenses set aside.

It is a business and it should be run as such in an adult manner by Adults.

The trouble with many of these hosts that fail so quickly is it is usually a adolescent running them, sometimes from the parents basement, garage, or house, other times from a college dorm room.

If they fail they bail and come back next month with a new domain name.

But I am opinionated that you should not conduct business with people that are not old enough to drink alcohol, vote, or sign a legally binding contract without a parent or guardians co-sign.
    The thing is, its really hard to tell which ones are the kiddy hosts. I do agree, if there not old enough to vote, drink or sign a legally binding contract they should not be selling hosting, they should be worried about school.

There are so many different things that i missed in this thread that need to be addressed. Things such as:

1. Minimum network requirements a web host should meet.
    2. A host needs more then one person running it's operation.
    3. Living up to the content there website shows.
    4. Creating a full business plan (MOST HOST'S THINK NOTHING OF THIS WHEN STARTING UP) but it is needed!

What are your views on those 4, and yet there are still more things we an talk about. After we get done talking about everything i am going to take a few hours and write a very content rich web hosting guide for people that are seriously thinking about starting a web hosting company. I will use content we talk about in here, but i will source this thread and give credit where credit is due. Is that okay with you guys?

Respected Member
    But I was reading a ad that said I can start a hosting biz easy for what I spend on coffee in a week. Can I haz biz now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information