Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6486 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Default ata hard drives

hi guys

so i opened my ancient computer to see what type of hard drive i have so i can repleace it but it says on it ata .......now i look for ata hard drives and all i see are sata ones pop up.......are sata drives basically the same as the ata hard drives or are they different

its a old maxtor one
    priviet02 Reviewed by priviet02 on . ata hard drives hi guys so i opened my ancient computer to see what type of hard drive i have so i can repleace it but it says on it ata .......now i look for ata hard drives and all i see are sata ones pop up.......are sata drives basically the same as the ata hard drives or are they different its a old maxtor one Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

There's sata and pata post a pic it could be ide as you said it was ancient

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/...a5143078_o.jpg

that is basically mine as u see it says ata on it

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/...9-80gb-top.jpg

and on that one u can just see it says sata

so basically all i was wondering is ata like a older version of sata

Website's:
    ServeDome.com
    Difference between sata and pata.

Cables

The SATA cable or Serial ATA cables are only 7 pins wide compared to the IDE Ribbon Cable which is 40 pins. The SATA cables are also longer then the ribbon cables (some up to 1m) which make them more useful in large cases. The PATA or IDE cables are only 45cm long and can connect two hard drives to the motherboard while the SATA cable connects only one hard drive to the motherboard.

Speed

The next step in IDE vs SATA is to work out the data transfer speeds. IDE (PATA) transfers data from the speeds of 5MB/sec up to 133MB/Sec (ATA100/133). SATA however data transfer speeds range from 150MB/sec to SATA II which doubles it to 300MB/sec.

Jumpers

IDE vs SATA in the aspect of jumpers again goes the way of SATA. With the IDE cable you need to always mess around with the jumpers since there may be two hard drives or two CD drives or one of each on the one cable. With SATA there is only the one cable so there are no jumpers to mess around with. If you are new to computers then a SATA hard drive will be easier to install.

priviet i wanted to know the connector not what it says

Respected Member
    Yours are ata now known as pata. You will need a sata io card if you want any other than ata/pata.

ok cheers guys for all ur help

Thread Information