Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
62819 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Probation

Default Cost of starting a file hosting site

Hello,

After a lot of searching on the net I came across KWWHunction and it seems to be the place to get some relatively accurate answers. I would be grateful for anyone with experience, whom we may use in the future, to give me some ideas of the costs of building and maintaining a file hosting website.

Please only reply if you have built or maintained such a file hosting site. I need to know the start-up costs, rough ongoing monthly costs, in your experience how long before profit can be generated, how often servers maybe closed down and how quick you can be back online, and so on and on..

As I said, treat this as a first step in the possibility of working with us to build a file hosting site.

Regards
    newbiztown Reviewed by newbiztown on . Cost of starting a file hosting site Hello, After a lot of searching on the net I came across KWWHunction and it seems to be the place to get some relatively accurate answers. I would be grateful for anyone with experience, whom we may use in the future, to give me some ideas of the costs of building and maintaining a file hosting website. Please only reply if you have built or maintained such a file hosting site. I need to know the start-up costs, rough ongoing monthly costs, in your experience how long before profit can be Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Hello,

To start you have to buy 1 web/mysql server and some file servers. On file servers you will need 2 or more disks, best choice 4*2TB sata2 for 1GB NIC. Very important is the monthly bandwith. Many all companies offer Unlimited monthly BW but in terms they notice that if your server exeed as say 10TB they will downgrade your NIC speed to 10MB/half dublex.

Hi
    I haven't start a filehost but i roughly know how much it going to cost you as i have been using them for many years now.Therefore i know what makes a file host successfull

1.First and above all you need a CUSTOM script
    Don't use XfilehostingPro Script as it don't count all user downloads and is hence shit both for uploaders and downloaders.Create a custom script that counts download well(only for completed downloads or else you lose money) , store files using round robin algorithm to store fil efficiently on disk , ability to limit disk space , download speed and bandwidth(premium user get all unlimited).Ofcourse you need to include file deletion , management of copyrighted files and many more

Such a script would cost you around $1000-1200 (With good design and gfx)

2.Server
    Server should be OFFSHORE (Romania , Russia , China, Lithuania,Sweden) or else US could share you down.Domain should preferable not controlled by Verisign for same reason.Offshore server provider ignore dmca and will only ask you to delete files based on the country law.The risk of server takedown is minimal
    4x2TB Sata , 16gb ram , Unmetered Bandwidth , 1gbps port (shared will do)
    You will need around 2 servers like this for 1st month
    Cost around $400/server
    3.Payment methods
    Contact Paypal beforehand and ask them about the rules to be followed for filehost.Be aware that if you don't do it , StopFilelockers will get your paypal account suspended by uploading ********* or bestiality.
    After he suspend your paypal account , just contact paypal and give proof that you comply to all rules for filehost and you should get you account back in 2-3 days.
    ALways cashout your funds out of paypal as soon as possible(Daily)

4.Earn money
    Let uploaders get money by Pay per sale .Check with paypal and see if they allow pay per download.If they don't then not problem do pay per sale but pay for all countries
    You will need around $5000 - $6000 for first month to pay uploaders

5.Advertising
    Advertise on KWWH and other popular sites
    Cost : Depends on you

6.Use an offshore domain registrar
    PRQ is best as domain registar but not for hosting

Traffic around 70k+ easily in first month
    After you become popular like 4-5 month you can get 500 000+ visitors per day
    Profit margins are high if you use many ad networks

Its time to say thank you and give your comments
    Helping people is my hobby.....
    Learn how to secure your server against ddos

Wow Ifirst u just scared the crap out of the guy from starting a filehost
    I wanted to start a filehost in july but didnt have that much amount at that time so i did alot of research and what i found no one will tell u

At first dont let people tell you not to buys XFS as thats the only script withe good support if u want to make your own script its a big hastle and if u dont know coding u are going to be dead in a day or two so go with XFS
    some of the module u require would be
    SmartPoints mod
    Reports mod
    Flash upload mod
    Payment Gateways mod (maybe)
    NGINX mod (if u want to cap the speed)

So it would be a big total i assume and according to my information there are alot of sellers who sell their license for a low rate with those plugins i met a guy once whom was selling 600$ worth of mods+script for 300$ as he had no use of it
    Now about servers
    First u need a offshore server for main site u can find that easily and the next part for file servers u need to make sure u buy hosting from personal which might warn u if any activities they might see regarding your server
    according to me most hosting choose
    redstation
    ovh
    leaseweb
    U can also host on onshore location but u need to make sure u hide the ip of the fileserver with some ip cloaking so that it may be hard to find
    First u need for filehost i assume a 10gbit server but if u are running short 1gbit server will be ok
    what u need most is HD and raid storage (I forgot which one) lets suppose for start u need atleast 12tb hd 100tb bw or unmetered
    and when u get your site running wait for the server to get near to full then buy new fileserver if u buy 2 fileservers from the start then u might get in loss
    and another thing go for PPS not PPD as there are alot of cheaters out there who have alot of ways to cheat the ppd so PPS is the best way as u will earn from it as well as the users
    and as ifirst said use Avengate or any good payment gateway other filehosts are using for premium payments and make sure u always i must say again always comply to dmca u shouldnt care if u get 1000s of dmca notices everyday u need to delete those files as it would be good for u too ie more space would be usable
    and i dont know if i am correct or not that the users loose payments of the files which have been deleted so its a win win situation for you

@msk19994
    I haven't scared him , just need to make him be mentally & financially prepared for filehost.
    Your own script gives user confidence and increase your reputation.You just need to have the money and hire the good coders
    With offshore servers you won't have dmca hassle as they don't bother about dmca.However that don't mean you won't delete copyrighted files ....international copyright laws still apply so your script should have file deletion feature.
    Helping people is my hobby.....
    Learn how to secure your server against ddos

Thread Information