BitBlinder is the first service that allows BitTorrent users to hide their activity. There have been other solutions in the past such as using Onion Routers, but those solutions have not been very effective for BitTorrent traffic.

BitTorrent is a great file-sharing tool. However, let’s not kid ourselves, BitTorrent is used to violate copyright rights with a large number of users using the technology to download movies, music, games, and applications. Essentially, BitBlinder allows BitTorrent users an easier way to break the law by hiding their identities. Should this application, or other similar applications, be banned or made illegal?

There is the argument if you are not doing anything illegal why would you have a problem with banning these types of programs? The other side of the argument is we have a right to protect our privacy. ISPs do not need to know what we are doing on the network regardless of the legality of the activity.

The Constitution of United States does not guarantee privacy. There is nothing in the Bill of Rights that mentions a right to privacy. Yet this is a right many Americans value. During the Cold War, the Soviet Union kept locks on copy machines because the government wanted to prevent the spread of speech or information. Many citizens of the former communist State held underground meetings to spread democratic ideas and hide their identities. Having privacy rights is almost being patriotic because it highlights our Civil Liberties and values.

The reality is we want to protect our privacy. Why should we let our ISPs know exactly what we are doing? At the very least they are going to try and use that information to bombard us with marketing campaigns. In some ways I feel like I should be entitled to some sort of compensation for helping them with their marketing research.

We must also understand there is places in this world where tools like this are very much needed. There are places where people have limited civil and human rights and need a way to communicate anonymously.

The danger is when laws start to ban programs like this they are essentially telling their citizens they have limited privacy rights. They are assuming they know what is the best way to use technology. Last time I checked the government wasn’t the expert authority on any technology.

I do not think it is fair I can only get discounts are certain grocery stores only after I fill out information to get a club card in order for them to track my buying habits. Corporations such as Google and Microsoft do the exact same thing online thru cookies and other tracking methods. A savvy shopper knows how to protect himself against this type of invasion.

There are many people who will argue against me. Many people will say no matter what I say, the truth is that this program will be used to help break copyright law.

I have to argue, even if that is true, are we willing to sacrifice our current and future civil liberties based on what someone might do? Are we going to risk taking away tools from individuals who may have a legitimate need for them? I should have a right to protect myself. In addition even if I am not downloading anything illegal from BitTorrent I should not need to disclose what I am downloading on that service merely to satisfy the curiosity of my ISP.
DeathKnell Reviewed by DeathKnell on . BitBlinder – Is Privacy Blind? BitBlinder is the first service that allows BitTorrent users to hide their activity. There have been other solutions in the past such as using Onion Routers, but those solutions have not been very effective for BitTorrent traffic. BitTorrent is a great file-sharing tool. However, let’s not kid ourselves, BitTorrent is used to violate copyright rights with a large number of users using the technology to download movies, music, games, and applications. Essentially, BitBlinder allows BitTorrent Rating: 5