Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6692 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Default Running a Private VPN

Any trouble I could run into when hosting a Private VPN onshore? Such as a government agency at my door with a warrant for logs(which I'm not storing)?
    Devioux Reviewed by Devioux on . Running a Private VPN Any trouble I could run into when hosting a Private VPN onshore? Such as a government agency at my door with a warrant for logs(which I'm not storing)? Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Respected Member
    You could indeed run into trouble it all depends on the people that are using your VPN, if they engage in credit card fraud or other serious types of fraud then you could be questioned. You should have a website up with clear terms and conditions highlighting that you are not involved in any way shape or form with the activities your clients partake in. You should avoid not storing logs if you are asked for logs and you say don't store them it'll make you look pretty suspicous, even SwissVPN store logs and they have a lot of customers.

Respected Developer
    Website's:
    X4B.org
    Make sure you have very clear tos, i recomend contacting a lawyer.

Website's:
    qwerty-roms.net
    No need for a lawyer

Just state on your homepage, "tos blah blah blah" and make sure they ACCEPT IT before being able to access the VPN.

New High-End VPS's! TOP QUALITY COMPONENTS AT THE LOWEST PRICES!
    http://www.KWWHunction.com/showthread.php?p=501686

Thanks guys, so if I state on my website that users agreed to a TOS that completely clears me from everything and nothing too serious happens (<500) I should avoid any legal trouble(including questioning/contacting me).

Website's:
    acehd.net
    Even if you have a clear TOS, your still responsible for what your customers do with it. Check today's ruling that the RIAA won for instance, the proprietor of the usenet service was held responsible while using the Betamax defense, if your in a business agreement with customers then you have control over what they can and can't do. Missing action from your part to correct possible ongoing illegal activities could be seen the same way.
    Just a thought, i'm not an expert in law.

Website's:
    qwerty-roms.net
    Having your users agree to a ToS, which clearly states you do not tolerate any illegal activites on your VPN, which they agree to.

& you keep logs, just in case.
    New High-End VPS's! TOP QUALITY COMPONENTS AT THE LOWEST PRICES!
    http://www.KWWHunction.com/showthread.php?p=501686

Thread Information