Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
62584 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this normal when setting up server?

I bough hosting and a domain name yesterday.
    Changed nameserver for the domain name to the hosting companies nameservers around 15 hours ago.

Now i get:
    If i write ip address to server i get their default web page, if i write domain name i get go daddys parked page, i also cant access wp-admin with ip address or domain name.

Is this normal? Will it be usable in 1-30 more hours or is something wrong?

Just asking so i can fix it faster in case something is wrong, first time i do this.
    xandor Reviewed by xandor on . Is this normal when setting up server? I bough hosting and a domain name yesterday. Changed nameserver for the domain name to the hosting companies nameservers around 15 hours ago. Now i get: If i write ip address to server i get their default web page, if i write domain name i get go daddys parked page, i also cant access wp-admin with ip address or domain name. Is this normal? Will it be usable in 1-30 more hours or is something wrong? Just asking so i can fix it faster in case something is wrong, first time i do this. Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Website's:
    swedendedicated.com
    Changing nameservers takes time. Try flushing your dns cache in windows. (cmd -> ipconfig /flushdns)

Also lookup the domain name records, the nameservers should say your hosts ip's.
    Dedicated and VPS servers in Sweden.

My domain name keeps switching between go daddy parked page and my host default page, guess it is in progress then, said host nameserver when i tried whois. Flushed dns.

Btw, why cant i do anything with wordpress with ip address (before the domain name is ready), that is the thing i think feels so wierd.
    Dunno what domain name has to do with:
    ip address/wp-admin
    resulting in a 404 not found error.

Installed wordpress with softaculous.

Think the DNS need to know it to find the folders on the ip address, and if it dont know it i get not found becouse the DNS think it isnt there. Most likely reason i can come up with.

Banned
    hey, if you want to start working on your site even before dns is fully propagated, try adding your sever ip with the domain to your windows hosts file

Website's:
    vaporhostn.com
    Have you setup the server correctly or was it setup for you?

Because it depends on how its setup and you can use the ip... If not then they have it in a user directory where you need to use a domain or a special url..

Like if you have cpanel as a control panel you can do yourip/~username

Oh, started working now.
    Can't login to my own wordpress blog though...
    Forgot to wrote down password for first user, but think i know what it was but said it is wrong, made a new user with full privileges and tried to login but says it is wrong password.

Website's:
    vaporhostn.com
    If you put the password in directly in the db with a plain text pass its gonna fail since wordpress uses a encrypted password...

You need to reinstall your wordpress site....

"ERROR: Invalid username"
    Got that error.
    I just added 1 user in Softaculous.
    Added 1 user in mysql database with cPanel.
    Dont think i did what you said (sounds like editing file manually).

Considering reinstalling wordpress but gotta try other things first i think.

Website's:
    vaporhostn.com
    Ive never had to use softaculous i guess its cpanel pre-included auto installer?
    If it is then you need to do a reinstall... I don't know of any auto installer that can add users, but i could be wrong... Theirs always a chance you can google to find a way for manual password change for wordpress if you don't want to reinstall...

Just to know if this is your first time getting hosting... You should learn to install scripts manually without the need of a autoinstaller because you will never learn to use better scripts since their are more better ones out there not on a autoinstaller.

Fixed it with a reinstallation, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information