Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6872 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Whats the difference between portable and external HDD?

I wanna buy portable HDD. Im stuck with 2 options.
    Portable and external HDDs.
    Are they both similar in function? I know that external HDD is bulkier in size and heavy to as compared to portable HDD.
    I wanna know abt some extra features that portable or external HDDs lack from each other, like speed of data transfer, rpms, etc... and cost too.
    z3r04cc355 Reviewed by z3r04cc355 on . Whats the difference between portable and external HDD? I wanna buy portable HDD. Im stuck with 2 options. Portable and external HDDs. Are they both similar in function? I know that external HDD is bulkier in size and heavy to as compared to portable HDD. I wanna know abt some extra features that portable or external HDDs lack from each other, like speed of data transfer, rpms, etc... and cost too. Rating: 5
    Trusted/Recommended Buyers:- lion_boy877, ubuntu619, SimonSzir, aishamontreal
    FRAUD: =Ash=

Selling RS accounts, PP/MB/LR

2.   Sponsored Links

Banned
    Website's:
    maxleech.com dllpoint.com ultrahosts.info downloaddesi.com
    i would recommend u to buy external HDD with an adapter case
    with this u can use it inside the cpu and also outside the cpu

But i dun wanna use for internal storage. I just wanna use it 2 store TV shows, some movies and my other data.
    I wanna buy Seagate 1 TB portable. But dunno whether shud i buy external or portable.
    I wanna compare the features of both the types.
    Trusted/Recommended Buyers:- lion_boy877, ubuntu619, SimonSzir, aishamontreal
    FRAUD: =Ash=

Selling RS accounts, PP/MB/LR

Respected Member
    Website's:
    nooky.us
    As you don't need an external power supply, the portable ones (eg WD Passport) are great to carry around. They fit in the pockets of your jeans.
    They are more expensive than external HDD like the WD Mybook which you don't want to carry around for sure.

I love it!

Website's:
    SourceParadise.com MobileMaster.org
    Main difference is the Speed..
    Like comparing a Broadband with Dialup connection...

You will loose much speed although it mainly effect while copy-pasting not while watching moves & stuffs...

Both have it`s own advantages & disadvantages...!!

Website's:
    pspgoonz.com extremeddl.info
    yea my advice if your not gonna be carying it around is get an internal and put it inside wayyy faster writing speed

Website's:
    maxneeds.info
    As the other guys told...
    External - You may move it everywhere,but copy/paste speed is slower.
    HD inside - the opposite.

Website's:
    pspgoonz.com extremeddl.info
    also if u go external dont get a seagate they have the highest fail rates and well simply put a waste of money

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
    Website's:
    extremecoderz.com
    a portable HDD is a small 2.5 inch HDD - usually found in laptops, its more portable because its so tiny and requires so little power, and as such usually has a very small power adapter.

an external HDD is a large 5.25 inch HDD found in desktop computers. Its faster and cheaper and can often store larger amounts, but is not as portable (you cant put it in your trouser pocket, for example) - but still portable enough to take to ur friends house on the bus.

for long-term storage, just get an external.

Website's:
    LulzIMG.com chtbx.com RapidPremium.Net ReleaseLeech.com RLSLeech.com NinjaRobotPirateZombieNazi.com
    Quote Originally Posted by =:Jack:= View Post
    i would recommend u to buy external HDD with an adapter case
    with this u can use it inside the cpu and also outside the cpu
    I would recommend that too as external HDD

Quote Originally Posted by nEw_boY View Post
    Main difference is the Speed..
    Like comparing a Broadband with Dialup connection...

You will loose much speed although it mainly effect while copy-pasting not while watching moves & stuffs...

Both have it`s own advantages & disadvantages...!!
    It's definitely not of that comparison lol. Portables are @5400RPM and externals are @7200RPM.

It all comes down to if you want portability or not. If not, just get an external and I would recommend an enclosure for a normal HDD. If you do need a portable solution, go for a portable one.

I bought a external HDD with an enclosure and it was the best thing I've ever done since I am now building a PC and I can just drop it in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information