Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
61180 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile How to really delete files ?

Well, you can see question from the thread title. But I mean it really.

Everyone of us probably heard somewhere(or watched on tv ) that deleted files can stiill be recovered. My friend also tryed to convince me, that some guys from PC service recovered his formatted hard disk with some "crazy cool russian program"

I'm currently not in need to do that(lol), but I would love to heard some good explain from some pro

I already have a conversation with one "pro", and he told me that files can be recovered if formating was "soft". You know what I mean, faster way when you are reinstalling your xp. He also sad that after "hard" format(slower way when installing xp) data cannot be recovered, cuz in that way random 1 and 0 are written on hard disk.

Opinions, expiriencies and knowledge are welcome
    Cojba Reviewed by Cojba on . How to really delete files ? Well, you can see question from the thread title. But I mean it really. Everyone of us probably heard somewhere(or watched on tv :P ) that deleted files can stiill be recovered. My friend also tryed to convince me, that some guys from PC service recovered his formatted hard disk with some "crazy cool russian program" =) I'm currently not in need to do that(lol), but I would love to heard some good explain from some pro :D I already have a conversation with one "pro", and he told me Rating: 5
    HQLessons.Net + HQLessons.Com + 8months of HQ shared hosting - 30$
    Selling two themaPosters for 25$ or 15$ for each. Payza(AP) only. Contact me :)

Respected and trusted members: wf?9, Jimmy, ramicn, Matijasevic, rkze1
    Cheap desktop apps development. Contact via pm or msn.

2.   Sponsored Links

Website's:
    reddit.com
    Well, for it to be completely deleted, your HDD has to be "demagnetized".

There are some apps that will destroy your files by deleting them multiple times beyond being recoverable. These apps are often described as "File Shredders".

Like a real life shredder, the pieces can still be put together but it would take a massive effort. In your case, it would take hardware to come into play and "do stuff" with your HDD.
    So yeah, if you want to get rid of some hot files, use a file shredder.
    I design free logos. click here.

Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN) for destroying data on a whole disk,
    Eraser, or multiple free space secure passes in CCleaner to clean "Empty" disk space within a Windows environment,
    TrueCrypt for FVE.

Here's a couple of articles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ecure_del.html

tnx for your answer Maniac_.

And also one thing just came into my mind. If I completely format hard disk, and after that make it full with some other stuff(example movies) does "bad files" can still be founded or they will be lost forever in order to make space for new files.
    HQLessons.Net + HQLessons.Com + 8months of HQ shared hosting - 30$
    Selling two themaPosters for 25$ or 15$ for each. Payza(AP) only. Contact me :)

Respected and trusted members: wf?9, Jimmy, ramicn, Matijasevic, rkze1
    Cheap desktop apps development. Contact via pm or msn.

Use Darik's Nuke
    Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.
    http://www.dban.org/

Just be warned. I put 48 passes on my old 20gb laptop HDD and it took about 36 hours for it to complete

Quote Originally Posted by Cojba View Post

And also one thing just came into my mind. If I completely format hard disk, and after that make it full with some other stuff(example movies) does "bad files" can still be founded or they will be lost forever in order to make space for new files.
    Yes they will be lost but we will need a FULL HD of movies. Enough to cover each sector

Repartitioning just deletes sectors and makes new ones

Website's:
    reddit.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Cojba View Post

If you "soft format", there will be traces. But the partitions in the HDD will be overwritten with the newer files.
    When you format, it is recommended to use the "not quick" way, because the main reason we format our HDD is some virus or a fucked up system, right?
    I design free logos. click here.

Respected Member
    I had a friend who was in the FBI a few years back and he showed me a trick to get rid of old files. What I did was downloaded a free file off the net (can't remember what it was or where from) but anyway I downloaded the file and copied it multiple times. I just kept copying it until the hdd was completely full. then i formated the drive and repeated the process. By filling formating filling formating it makes all those old files non existant. The files cannot be recovered after the drive has been formatted and filled twice.

Banned
    Website's:
    CuraShare.Net CuraShare.Me CuraShare.Info
    Check out the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD), this disk has a lot of useful tools, and some to scrable a HDD permanently

Website's:
    Elite.SO Defendos.com Motionite.com
    You can use File Shredders, those tools will convert one file in to thousands of small pieces then it just delete it.

Defendos BETA3 Released! Thread - Official Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information