Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
62810 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

View Poll Results: What would you prefer?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

11 47.83%
  • B

12 52.17%
    Banned

Default Virtual Servers or Dedicated Servers?

Thanks people, I got what I was after

More info coming soon!
    Nick Reviewed by Nick on . Virtual Servers or Dedicated Servers? Thanks people, I got what I was after :P More info coming soon! Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Website's:
    crackingforum.com linkparadox.com crackz.me
    Explain the benefits of a VPS over a dedicated server please.

I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to servers. I can say the dedi I purchased from WrzHost is absolutely epic.

Banned
    Well - there isn't that much difference from a day to day point of view - you still get full root access and you'll still have dedicated memory, disk space e.t.c on your server.

The benefits are - being able to scale your server up and down on demand (down to 64 mb of memory or up to 96GB)

Because we are running this on a NetApp - we can increase and decrease disk space on demand, add additional disks to your virtual server and the SAN has RAID setup and the blades have RAID 1 on the two disks for the hypervisor - so you won't need to worry about disks failing.

And from the SAN we can take a snapshot backup which normally takes 30 to 120 seconds (on average) to create a backup and restore a backup.

We also have just acquired vMotion - which means for any reason, if your node fails stops responding e.t.c vMotion will detect this and migrate your server to another blade without downtime (may be a slight performance lag whilst moving.)

And Finally - we will offer a 4 hour fix on any hardware failures rather than with dedicated providers you normally have to buy extended SLA plans to get this kind of fix time for 24 by 7.

That's it really - it's more about reliability and scalability than day to day usage. But it's always nice to be able to upgrade your memory and only require a reboot rather than have 30 mins downtime whilst they pull it out the rack, fit the memory and put it back. and the backup aspect is without a doubt a bonus.

I prefer VPS over dedi as it has more room to expand ,etc
    but for some of my sites like image hosting, which needs high I/O rates, I prefer dedi and many VPS providers limit I/O rates.
    Coding Horror Fan
    I don't read PM's frequently .

Banned
    From the listings I will too prefer the VPS

Banned
    Well - there's always going to be an I/O limit however if its limited to the extent it's slowing down an image hosting site I would be worried

Banned
    Website's:
    KWWHunction.com
    Sounds like wrzhost is making it big time

I prefer buying dedi and setting up a dediacted vps on it. as vps performs better than dedi. and reboot can be done in 30sec

Banned
    Website's:
    sbanime.com
    Dedicated for the win mate

Thread Information